Minutes

Minutes

Spring Semester 2017

May 11, 2017

Present : Gabe, Vaibhav, Arushi, Divya

Decided on applications who would be awarded Bollinger’s grant.

May 4, 2017

Present : Gabe, Vaibhav, Arushi, Divya, Odgerel, Adam, Jennifer, Susan

– Voted 3-0 in favor to grant full amount of $500 to Odegerel for her research funding.
– Voted 3-0 in favor to grant full amount of $500 to Susan for her research funding proposal.
– Voted 4-0 in favor to grant full amount of $500 to Adam for his research funding.
– Voted 4-0 in favor to grant full amount of $492 to Jennifer for her research funding.
– Voted for spayne applications.

April 27, 2017

Present: Gabe, Arushi, Divya, Vaibhab, Vered Tomlak, Gabe, Issabelle

Vered proposed her event budget.
Voted 5-0 in favor to change the GSA rules for PDG from 30 days to 21days from next year (fall).
Voted 5-0 in favor to host the last event of the semester by GSA at the night of may 18th with a budget of $400-$500.
Discussed thoughts to present in the meeting with Barry Mills.

April 20, 2017

Present: Gabe, Divya, Vaibhav, Aarushi Siddharthbahai,  Kristen Christensen, Yurun Cai, Devgwoon Kim, James Muchira

Voted 4-0 in favor to grant $300 to INSA event request. $275 in cash and $25 in shaws card.
Voted 4-0 in favor of granting voting rights to Kristen Christensen.
Discussed about the upcoming meeting with Barry Mills.
April 13, 2017
Present: Gabe, Divya, Vaibhav, Aarushi Siddharthbahai, Isabelle Mueller, Kristen Christensen
Voted 5-0 to extend PDG receipt submission no later than 9th June at 1:00 pm.
Discussed news from board of trustees meeting.
Discussed grant writing event to be organised by GSA on 20th April.

April 6, 2017

Present: Gabe, Divya, Vaibhav, Sayantanee Paul, Heya Zhao, Isabelle Mueller

Decided not to accept the late application for PDG from Sayantanee and Heya.

Voted 4-0 to sign USG letter in support of chancellor Motley.

Victoria discussed social media project of career services.

March 30, 2017

Present:  Gabriel Garza, Aarushi Siddharthbahai, Vaibhav Sabharwal, Isabelle Mueller

Voted 4-0 to grant Victoria the full amount of $500 for her research.

March 23, 2017

Present:  Gabriel Garza, Aarushi Siddharthbahai,  Divya Bajaj, Vaibhav Sabharwal, Isabelle Mueller

Voted 5-0 to grant Courtney the full amount of $500 for her research.
Voted 5-0 to grant Sumel the full amount of $500 for his research.

March 9, 2017

Present: Gabriel Garza, Divya Bajaj, Vaibhav Sabharwal

Voted 3-0 in favor to approve new 3 positions of GSA for the max of 11 hr for each position.

March 2, 2017

Present:  Gabriel Garza, Divya Bajaj, Vaibhav Sabharwal, Isabelle Mueller

Voted 4-0 in favor to grant $1500 in shaws card as a donation donate to U-access food pantry.

February 23, 2017

Present:  Gabriel Garza, Aarushi Siddharthbahai, Divya Bajaj, Vaibhav Sabharwal, Isabelle Mueller

Decided on Spayne / Bollinger recipients.

February 16, 2017

Present:  Gabriel Garza, Aarushi Siddharthbahai, Divya Bajaj, Vaibhav Sabharwal, Isabelle Mueller, Kaitlin Gould, Laura Hayman

Final decision for spayne/ Bollinger postponed from 16th of February to 23rd February.

Voted 4-0 in favor to grant Kaitlin Gould the full amount of $500 for her lodging and airfare for her research.

Voted 4-0 in favor to grant Society of graduate Archaeologist with additional $487 for the conference.

Discussed about the stress management workshop that will be held on 23rd February from 3:00 pm to 4:30 pm.

Discussed about the possibility of increasing student activity fee from $105 to $125 for graduate students.

February 2, 2017

Present:  Gabriel Garza, Aarushi Siddharthbahai, Divya Bajaj, Vaibhav Sabharwal, Isabelle Mueller

Final decision for spayne/ Bollinger – 16th of February

All voted in favor of organizing an event on 2/23/2017 (Thursday).

Discussed how GSA would look like next semester.

December 15, 2016

Present: Shwetha Bangalore Nagaraja, Aarushi Siddharthbahai, Divya Bajaj,  Vaibhav Sabharwal, Isabelle Mueller, Mihye Choi

All voted in favor of granting voting rights Mihye Choi.

Voted 5-0 in favor of hiring Vaibhav as a Treasurer to represent GSA

December 8, 2016

Present: Shwetha Bangalore Nagaraja, Aarushi Siddharthbahai, Divya Bajaj,  Vaibhav Sabharwal, Shemal Shah, Raksha Rajashekar

All voted in favor of organizing a stress buster event on 12/14/2016 (Wednesday).

Discussed more about the open treasurer position.

Discussed ideas on event for next semester.

December 1, 2016

Present: Gabriel Garza, Shwetha Bangalore Nagaraja, Aarushi Siddharthbahai, Divya Bajaj,  Vaibhav Sabharwal, Jinal Sheth

Discussed on the revision for PDG’s car rental policy which will be reflected soon on the website.

All agreed to give 10 hours a week for 16 weeks to new treasurer starting from the next semester. The pay rate for the new Treasurer will be $13.50/hour .

November 17, 2016

Present: Gabriel Garza, Shwetha Bangalore Nagaraja, Aarushi Siddharthbahai, Divya Bajaj, Jocelyn Lutes, Hannah Lapp, Vaibhav Sabharwal

All voted in favor of granting voting rights Vaibhav Sabharwal.

Aarushi Siddharthbahai will be the new Vice President of GSA from next semester (starting from Jan,2017).

Chuck and Gabe discussed about pay rates for new treasurer.

November 10, 2016

Present: Gabriel Garza, Shwetha Bangalore Nagaraja, Aarushi Siddharthbahai, Divya Bajaj

Discussed submission dates for Spayne/Bollinger grants.

Decided to make decisions regarding grants in early February with decisions committee that involves faculty from underrepresented departments.

Discussed upcoming budget forum (Nov 15).

November 3, 2016

Present: Gabriel Garza, Shwetha Bangalore Nagaraja, Aarushi Siddharthbahai, Divya Bajaj, Isabelle Mueller, Mihye Choi, Vaibhav Sabharwal, Courtney

Heard presentation from undergraduate student, Karl Sylnay, regarding phone-base parking app, Drop Spot, to help notify students of parking availability. GSA resolved to assist in advertising pending assurance that transportation department has approved the app.

Heard presentation from Courtney Hess regarding a research funding request submitted by Saddie Cathart. The project focuses on UMB student experiences who struggle with food and housing insecurity. GSA asked Courtney to clarify specific items on the project’s budget and resolved to vote on the request next week once clarification is received.

Voted 5-0 to approve four new RPA’s.

Discussed lifting GSA’s new funding request suspension in light of Student Affairs and UMB Budget Office committing to offset costs of GSA tuition waivers.  Voted 4-0 (1 abstain) in favor of lifting the suspension. Resolved to reactivate all submission portals except for Spayne/Bollinger applications. Spayne/Bollinger applications will be reactivated pending discussion next week about when GSA will be able to make decisions on those submissions.

October 27,2016

Present: Gabriel Garza, Shwetha Bangalore Nagaraja, Aarushi Siddharthbahai, Divya Bajaj, Meredith Maroney

Heard Research Funding Grant request presentation from Meredith Maroney regarding qualitative project examining experiences of individuals on the autism spectrum who identify as transgender. Voted 4-0 to provide the maximum allowable funds ($500) for this kind of grant to this project.

Discussed new models for funding parking lots and shuttle busses- Flat transportation fee to all students and/or tiered parking such that students pay a lower rate and staff/faculty pay a higher rate. Resolved to forward these ideas to Chancellor Motley and Ellen O’Connor in collaboration with the president of USG, Ciro Capaldi

Discussed upcoming Budget Committee open forum event on Nov 15th. Decided to have as many GSA members attend as possible.

October 20, 2016

Present: Gabriel Garza, Shwetha Bangalore Nagaraja, Aarushi Siddharthbahai, Divya Bajaj,

Discussed ongoing budget issues, postponement of meeting between Student Affairs, UMB Budget Office, and GSA. Discussed current status of PDG funds and impact on said funds in worst-case budget scenarios. Voted 4-0 to implement suspension of new funding requests. Discussed implementation. Agreed to honor all existing funding requests submitted before October 20th. Updated website accordingly.

October 13, 2016

Present: Gabriel Garza, Shwetha Bangalore Nagaraja, Aarushi Siddharthbahai, Divya Bajaj, Melanie Lerman, Maddie Penney

Discussed ongoing meetings with campus administration regarding UMB budget issues and their impact on GSA funding. Discussed instituting suspension of funding requests as early as next week.

Heard presentation from Melanie Lerman and Maddie Penney on behalf of the archeology department’s graduate students arguing for changing Columbus Day to Indigenous People’s Day in all UMB proceedings. GSA Voted 4 – 0 in favor of Indigenous People’s Day.

October 6, 2016

Present: Gabriel Garza, Shwetha Bangalore Nagaraja, Aarushi Siddharthbahai, Divya Bajaj, Hannah Lapp, Isabelle Mueller, Keshav Krishnamurty

Voted 6 – 0 to suspend all new GSA funding requests if tuition waivers were not paid for by other UMB offices.

September 29, 2016

Present: Gabriel Garza, Shwetha Bangalore Nagaraja, Aarushi Siddharthbahai, Divya Bajaj, Christopher R Whynacht

Voted 4-0 in favor of using PDG’s only for those who are representing it.
Voted 4-0 in favor of using GSA funds to compensate board members due to loss of “non-academic” graduate assistantship tuition waivers. Voted to cut event funding by $3000, PDGs by $15,000, and Spayne/Bollinger grants by $12,000 until tuition waivers are reinstated.

September 22, 2016

Present: Gabriel Garza, Shwetha Bangalore Nagaraja, Aarushi Siddharthbahai, Divya Bajaj, Kirsten Christensen

Voted 4-0 in favor of using GSA budget funds to offset costs of tuition reimbursement losses for GSA elected members
Voted 4-0 in favor of approving 8 RPAs.

April 11,2016

Present:Deepanshu Joshi ,Nieshia Whittingham, Kim Wagner, Sylvia Guillovy,Jocelyn Lutes, Hannah Lapp, Shwetha Bangalore Nagaraja,Natalie Arbid

1.Voted for event funding request by Caitlyn Vozzella.[7/0]
2.Approved research funding proposal grant by Sylvia Guillory.[4/0].Abstained 3.

April 04,2016

Present:Gabriel Garza,Deepanshu Joshi ,Kim Wagner,Jocelyn Lutes, Hannah Lapp,

1.Discussed Budget.
2.Discussed about summer PDGs.

March 28,2016

Present:Gabriel Garza,Deepanshu Joshi ,Kim Wagner, Sylvia Guillovy,Jocelyn Lutes, Hannah Lapp, Andrew Bartlett

1.Selected Gabriel Garza,Andrew Bartlett,Shwetha Bangalore Nagaraja as members to review committee for student speaker.
2.Approved research grants for Sylvia.[2/0].4 abstained.
3.Approved research grants for Madeline.[6/0].

March 07,2016
Present:Gabriel Garza,Nieshia Whittingham ,Deepanshu Joshi ,Shwetha Bangalore Nagaraja,Natalie Arbid,Kim Wagner,Jocelyn Lutes, Hannah Lapp, Andrew Bartlett

1.Approved event planning proposed by Natalie Arbid. [3/0] abstain two.
2.Approved doubling spane and bolinger. [4/0]
3.PDg’s doubling. Approved.[4/0]
4. Decided to spend $5000 on workshops. Approved. [4/1]

February 29,2016

Present:Gabriel Garza,Nieshia Whittingham.

Approved the following Event Proposals from the History Department
1. History Girls, March 24th, 6-8pm in CC, an all-female panel of history doctorates discussing their research and how they obtained their positions. Open to all graduate students
– Approved 2-0 in the amount of $300 for catering plus $100 in Shaws cards
2. UMass Boston Interdepartmental History Conference, April 2nd, 10am-4pm, a conference on campus for history, english, anthropology, and sociology. Open to all graduate students
– Approved 2-0 in the amount of $750 for catering and honorarium plus $100 in Shaws cards
3. Swore in Hannah Lapp from the Developmental Brain Science program as a voting GSA member.

February 22,2016

Present:Gabriel Garza,Nieshia Whittingham ,Deepanshu Joshi ,Shwetha Bangalore Nagaraja,Anthony Flynn.
1. Voted to support Anthony Flynn’s efforts regarding transgender treatment on campus.Approved.[4/0]
2. Discussed current status of planned GSA events.
3. Discuss recent developments with the GSA budget.

Fall Semester 2015

December 14,2015

Present:Gabriel Garza,Sachin Rungta ,Deepanshu Joshi ,Shwetha Bangalore Nagaraja ,Natalie Arbid ,Chengjie Zheng ,Subek Raina.

1.Voted for Bollinger Applications B 5, B 7, B 12. Approved.[6/0]
2.Decided to have online elections for Vice President position from
21st-28th DEC. Approved.[6/0]

December 07,2015

Present:Gabriel Garza,Sachin Rungta ,Deepanshu Joshi ,Shwetha Bangalore Nagaraja ,Natalie Arbid ,Chengjie Zheng ,Subek Raina, April Parsons,Preet Manocha.

1.Voted for Spayne Applications S1,S2 and S4. Approved.[6/1]
2.Decided to have elections for Vice President position in Spring 2016.

November 30,2015

Present:Gabriel Garza,Sachin Rungta, Deepanshu Joshi

1.Decided to discuss Spayne applications in next meeting.
2.Decided to cancel the fall event.
3.Discussed about options to fill Vice President position for Spring 2016.

November 23,2015

Present:Gabriel Garza,Sachin Rungta, Natalie, Subak Raina

1.GSA Event is changed to Dec 8 or 9.
2.Yoga instructors asked to give their availability till 5pm of 11/23.
3.Voted for Counseling phd program grant proposal. Approved 4/0.
4. Dec 7th is the deadline for all members to have reviewed the grants and decided on their top choice. We will discuss who will get the award on the meeting on Dec 7th.

November 16,2015

Present:Gabriel Garza, Deepanshu Joshi ,Sachin Rungta, Shweta Nagaraja , Chengjie “Jimmy” Zheng, Natalie,Nieshia Whittingham

1.Yoga finalized as the fall event for GSA.

November 9,2015

Present: Gabriel Garza, Deepanshu Joshi ,Sachin Rungta, Shweta Nagaraja , Subek , Natalie

1.Discussed on a Fall event & came up with 1st week of December as event date.
2.Discussed concerns about IT on campus.
3.Discussed automating September notifications for grants.
4.Voted for Subek as voting member of GSA. Approved 4/0.

November 2,2015

Present:Gabriel Garza,Sachin Rungta, Shweta Nagaraja, Subek

1. Discussed which event GSA is doing- Yoga or Stress Management
2. Discussed what time event will be held: evening or daytime
3. Discussed few possible dates to give to the person(s) leading the event.
4. Discussed ways to automate the Spayne/Bollinger deadline process.

October 26,2015

Present: Gabriel Garza, Deepanshu Joshi ,Sachin Rungta, Shweta Nagaraja ,Weiyang Ding.

1.Graduate Student Weiyang Ding was asked to resubmit the research funding application as a Spayne application in Spring.
2. Discussed various options for GSA event.
3. Discussed to have folders corresponding to every member of the executive committee in GSA Webmail account.

October 19,2015

Present: Gabriel Garza, Deepanshu Joshi ,Sachin Rungta, Shwetha Nagaraja.

1. Voted on Applied Linguistics Student Association as RPA. Approved. [4/0].
2. Voted to differ new RPA request to January. Approved. [4/0].
3. Discussed to come up with 2-3 names of speakers for the event which is to be organized by GSA.
4. Discussed on GSA email account. To be continued in next meeting as well.
5. Discussed GSA Spending Plan FY 2015-2016.

October 5,2015

Present: Gabriel Garza, Deepanshu Joshi

1. Began discussion for carry forward.
2. Approved History Graduate Club, International Student Club (Passed 2-0)
3. Granted permission to Applied Linguistics till October 11,2015.

September 28,2015

Present: Gabriel Garza, Sachin Rungta, Shwetha Nagaraja, Deepanshu Joshi, Laura Hayman

1. 7 new RPA’s approved (Passed 4-0)

2. Deadline for RPA’s review extended to October 2nd,2015 by noon.

3. Spayne and Bollinger applications to be opened on October 1st 2015 at 8:00 am and closes on November 15,2015 at 11:45 pm.
4. List of GPD’s requested from Dr.Laura Hayman in reference to Spayne and Bollinger.

September 21,2015

Present: Gabriel Garza, Sachin Rungta, Shwetha Nagaraja, Deepanshu Joshi, Chengjie “Jimmy” Zheng

1. Discussed starting budget
2. Approved 12 RPA’s for $200 each (Passed 4-0)
3. Reviewed Officer Duties
4. Established Office Hours
5. Started discussion about GSA programming

Spring Semester 2015

May 07,2015

Present: Nieshia Whittingham, Joey Nguyen, Chengjie Zheng,Sachin Rungta,Gabriel Garza,Shweta Nagaraj

Event Funding approved-CSSA(RPA)
1.They want event funding for Dragon boat festival in the amount of 748$ for a registration fee for a team of 14+ people.It passes unanimously after a long discussion over their last event budget and funds they have.(1 abstain)

Meeting and informing the Treasurer about their duties for upcoming fall 2015.There are changes in everyone roles and responsibilities from next semester which we are updating in the GSA manuals.

April 30,2015
Present: Joey Nguyen, Chengjie Zheng,Sachin Rungta,Gabriel Garza

Assembled at 1:00 pm
Planning to update the GSA manual about the responsibilities for Fall 2015 for all the positions with their official duties. ended at 1:05 pm

April 23,2015
Present: Nieshia Whittingham, Joey Nguyen, Chengjie Zheng,Sachin Rungta,Gabriel Garza

Meeting started at 1:00 pm
Approved Event Funding proposal-Emily DeFouw(on-phone)1.She want a event budget request in the amount of 100$ including only food for the event for all the graduate students Beacon for Social Justice End of the Year and “Coding” Party,She asked for the money but instead of money we approved 100$ shaws cards.(4 Yes 1 abstain)
Meeting finished at 1:20 pm
Discussing Spayne and Bollinger Grants Spayne 1 They are requesting an amount of 1535$ for research on water quality of Charles river.They have to conduct field work and collaborates with local community organization to help preserve Charles river.Budget includes SPSS subcription 220$,Conference in New Orleans 1231$ and field work 169$ but we are approving 389.57$ fort this grant after discussing with all the board members.(4 Yes) Spayne 2 They are requesting an amount of 1500$ for spatial analysis on Early 17 century Spanish colonial sites in New Mexico.They have to conduct field work and Professor labs equipments to analyze.Budget includes Flight 600$,Car rental 225$,Gas 300$,Museums 100$,Copies 25$,Food 250$ although we are approving 1000$ for this grant after discussing with all the board members.(4 Yes) Bollinger 1 They are requesting an amount of 2270$ for numbers of sentamins in cell type specific differentiation, spatial analysis on Early 17 century Spanish colonial sites in New Mexico.They have to examine sex difference in brain development and Lab works at Umb.Budget includes Lab supplies 2270$ although we can only approve the maximum amount 1500$ for this grant after discussing with all the board members.(4 Yes) Bollinger 2 They are requesting an amount of 864$ for valued livings as buffering the disadvantages to drinking and to cope up with drinking.They have to take surveys in Umb administration and dissertation almost complete as looking for reimbursement.Budget includes Stats books 165$,stat books 99.43,Gift cards 600$ as we are approving the amount 864$ for this grant after discussing with all the board members.(4 Yes) Bollinger 3 They are requesting an amount of 1500$ for research on the role of early invention and provide cultural competence and working alliance.It will be the part of the largest study at Umass Boston.It provides early interaction sites feedback and inform the future treatment.Budget includes Gift cards 1500$ as we are approving the amount 1500$ for this grant after discussing with all the board members.(4 Yes)

April 16,2015

Present: Nieshia Whittingham, Joey Nguyen, Chengjie Zheng,Sachin Rungta,Gabriel Garza

Discussion on Bollinger grant application request(in-mail)
1.She want to file Bollinger grant application in this semester completed the application process after the deadline, she got to learn that she had missed the deadline by mere days although all said yes to considered the Bollinger application but due to four days delay we cannot go against the policy so we cannot allow her to file an application in this semester but she can file in next Fall 2015.(5 Yes )

April 9,2015

Present: Nieshia Whittingham, Joey Nguyen, Chengjie Zheng,Sachin Rungta

Event Funding Approved-Minjin Kim(in-person)
1.She is requesting an event budget request in the amount of 650$ including customized pins :100 pins for 253$,catering food :korean food for 250$ and some other supplies like caranation corsage for 90$ cards for event in crucial aim of celebrating this event to increase the for international nurses awareness and providing tips to applying to graduate schools although GSA voted on amount 450$ (4 Yes )
Event Funding Approved-Tonghui Zhang(in-person)
1.He requested an event budget request in the amount of 500$ bus fee for event in both undergraduate and graduate students going to amusement park named kimbell farm but they will charge 100% of bus fees per person to undergraduate student and 50% to graduate student because total bus fees can be 1300$ maximum but so although GSA fund only for graduate students according to policy voted on amount maximum up to 650$ (4 Yes ).

April 9,2015

Present: Nieshia Whittingham, Joey Nguyen, Chengjie Zheng,Sachin Rungta

Discussing the points on the resume workshop for improving the performance of future workshops.
Positive
1.Using shaws cards for workshop and events gives us a better food with cheap cost.
Negative
1.Advertisement,events,postings should be three week before the workshop.
2.Early Planning/scheduling with presentation.
3.It should be more specific towards CV.
4.Framing workshops in more attractive manner.
5.Technical Difficulties(Can’t be controlled)

How to solve blast email problems
1.We are trying to write GSA news letter containing PDG announcements,deadlines,events & workshops requesting at least weekly or monthly email.
2.Talking to the different members of different RPAs to spread across the whole organization.
3.We can ask SEAC groups to send the email to all the students for any event/workshops.
4.Spreading through using social media like facebook,twitter
Planning for the advertising of GSA for next fall 2015
1.Adding events incentive for students for attending all the events.
2.Including gift and shaws cards for attending GSA meetings.
3.Conducting contest.
4.Poster sessions
5.Giving opportunity to students for talking on their subjects on which they want to tell people like Ted Talks.

March 26,2015

Present: Nieshia Whittingham, Joey Nguyen, Chengjie Zheng,Sachin Rungta,Gabriel Garza

Event Funding Approved-Julie Niespel
1. Clinical psychology department event for Student Colloquium for $200 in Shaws cards(3 Yes 1 abstain)C

Event Funding disapproved (postponed to the fall) 2.Clinical psychology department event for the Faculty Colloquium Training on Ablism/Disability
$100 for Honorarium and $200 in Shaws Cards(3 Yes 1 abstain)
Improve IT services for Graduate students
1.Signs for the printer station.
2.Assigning print station at 8 floor of library.
3.New Wi-fi accesports in all over the campus in different buildings.
Software investments
1. SPSS for students computers for $20
2. Mathematica is free.
3. Microsoft office is free through student email.
4.Microsoft 10 is going to be free for all the students
5.Mobile application of Blackboard for all the students for 1.99$ per year.

Suggestions for improvement of IT services
1. Providing paper clips or staplers at the printing stations
2. Working with T-Mobile to get a tower on Campus (maybe a line item with the new buildings)
3.To find the list of most used software and check if we can get discounts on them.

March 12,2015

Present: Nieshia Whittingham, Joey Nguyen, Chengjie Zheng,Sachin Rungta,Gabriel Garza

PDG’s approved-Kendra Q Knauf(in-phone).(5 Yes)
Event Funding Approved-Hiu mei Chow(in-person)
1.She want a event budget request in the amount of 118.71$ including 50$ shaws cards for event in hope of debunking myths related graduate schools and providing tips to applying to graduate schools although GSA voted on amount 100$ and 50$ shaws cards.(4 Yes 1 No)
Responsibilities redistributed in between GSA members.
Changes will be followed by next semester
Major changes are
Spayne,Bollinger funding has been added to Vice-President from Treasurer.
PDG’s has been added to treasurer from Secretary.
Minutes,Agenda has been added to Secretary from Vice-President

Event planning
1.Flyers has been designed for advertising.
2.Food budget has been decided up to 500$ in the form of Shaws cards
2.a Sandwich Platters
2.b Soda
2.c Bottled Water

March 05,2015

Present: Nieshia Whittingham, Joey Nguyen, Chengjie Zheng,Gabriel Garza

Discussions on redistributing tasks between GSA officers for future fiscal year
GBA representatives was asking for the procedure of navigating the process of funding,meeting spaces and websites.

Historical Graduate Student Association
1.They want an event budget request in the amount of $615.81 for an event that allows students to present their work in preparation for thesis defenses although GSA voted to approve $450 in Shaws Cards.

February 26,2015

Present: Nieshia Whittingham, Sachin Rungta,Joey Nguyen, Chengjie Zheng,Gabriel Garza

Three Bollinger’s Funding approved
Schuyler Korban,Vice Provost and Director, Global Programs initiated the issue of adding international fee 5$ to all the students of university for giving scholarship to fellow students who want to do international research as we have to take decision and advertise these over all the department’s students.

Finalizing the PDG’s final policies
1.a Limitations to 40$ for meal/day
1.b No alcohols and tips.
2.a Transportation covers:Train,phones,buses
2.b Taxis only in conference city outside the Boston.
2.c Garage or parking only in Greater Boston Area.
3.Posters and materials only(No Shipping)
4.1 PDGs allowed per academic year
Masters’s student allowed total of 2
Phd’s student allowed total of 6.

February 19,2015

Present: Nieshia Whittingham, Sachin Rungta,Joey Nguyen, Chengjie Zheng,Gabriel Garza

Two PDGs approved
Two Spayne Funding approved
One Research Funding approved

Asking Career Services about dates and timings available for the workshop in March.
Finalizing place for the workshop
Blast emails service is not available now.
Planning about advertising about the whole event.

February 12,2015

Present: Nieshia Whittingham, Sachin Rungta,, Chengjie Zheng,Gabriel Garza

Amount spent on Approved 72 PDGs is 27094$ since fall 2014
Amount reimbursed on 44 PDGs is 11,161$
To be reimbursed on 28 PDGs is 16,333$
10 PDGs can more be approved now
One PDGs will be allotted to students per academic year during their Master’s total of 3.
One PDGs will be assigned to students per academic year during their Phd’s total of 6
5000$ allocate for PDGs from budget.
Total amount spent on the PDGs.
Planning for upcoming programs.

February 05,2015

Present: Nieshia Whittingham, Sachin Rungta,Joey Nguyen, Chengjie Zheng,

Three PDGs approved
Hiring program co-ordinates for some duration.
Checking budget for funding and positions hiring by next meeting

Confirming dates and timings for the workshop
Talking with different departments for specific workshops.
Total amount spent on the PDGs.
Planning for upcoming programs.

January 29,2015

Present: Audris S Campbell,Nieshia Whittingham, Joey Nguyen, Chengjie Zheng,Gabriel Garza

PDGs funding in different semesters.
Hiring program co-ordinates for some duration.
Checking budget for funding and positions hiring by next meeting

Confirming dates and timings for the workshop
Talking with different departments for specific workshops.
Total amount spent on the PDGs.
Planning for upcoming programs.

Fall Semester, 2014

December 11,2014

Present: Joey Nguyen, Sachin Rungta,Chengjie Zheng,Gabriel Garza

Applying for PDGs before 4 weeks of conferences.
Planning the PDGs on month to month basis.
Using the PDGs in giving opportunities to graduate students for research and conferences.

Categorizing emails
Distributing the workload
Updating websites everyweek
Circulating roles between all the members.

December 4,2014
Present: Audris S Campbell,Joey Nguyen, Sachin Rungta,Chengjie Zheng,Gabriel Garza,Nieshia Whittingham

Discussion on PDG’S Budget:

What things to consider in a budget while reimbursing PDGS for conferences.
Conference Registration
Foods
Transportation
Supplies
Prints only/No Shipments

What we should do to improve to organize PDGS
To Itemize all their spending in summary receipt form.
To fill all the information regarding an event which include date,location and the timings.
To setup the priorities on spending for reimbursing PDGS for conferences.

Setting all the conditions for PDGS with estimated cost.
40$ meal for a day
Taxi(Within the conference location)
Prints only/No Shipments

November 20,2014

Present: Audris S Campbell,Joey Nguyen, Sachin Rungta,Chengjie Zheng,Gabriel Garza,Nieshia Whittingham

Discussion regarding grand writing workshop performance

27 registered attended the workshops
7 walking ins
17 for after social event
34 attended grant writing workshop
44 attended after social event.

Positives
1.Its turn out well.
2.Informative
3.people interacted

Negatives
Food was not hot
Due to time unavailability all students won’t able to come
Lots of questions over funding’s which can be explained in booklet.
Workshop should have more time.

To Do’s regarding workshop
Asking Professor Laura Hayman for the final presentations.
Sending the video to all the people who have registered for the workshop.
To upload the recording on the GSA website and it should reach out to whole college.

Regarding Funding Information
To upload all the deadlines regarding PDGS ,RPAS applications.
To put the dates related to Spayne/Bollinger Applications.
To upload the form where students can upload all their details regarding research funding.

November 06,2014

Present: Audris S Campbell,Nieshia Whittingham, Joey Nguyen, Sachin Rungta,Chengjie Zheng,Gabriel Garza

Approverd PDGS-Andrew Webster
1.MA in Historical archaelogy
2.Research in complete archaeology.
3.Highest Profile archaelogist attended.
4.Boston started becoming Industrialby 1800’s.

GEO UMB Resolution
1.Contract that covers all assistantships.
2.Contract Expired in the Summer.
3.Health insurance subsidy is not mentioning rising costs.
4.3% cost of living adjustment.
5.Petition spreading through Email and Phone Banking

Enquiries regarding UHS contracts
1.Ask UHS about health care contract application.
2.Signatures for petitions.
3.Organize all three campuses contracts.
4.Contacting Professor staff union.

Funding for College of Management Events
1.70$ funding for happy hour event.
2.No procedure followed.
3.No RPAS.

October 30,2014

Present: Audris S Campbell,Nieshia Whittingham, Joey Nguyen, Sachin Rungta,Chengjie Zheng,lena Champagna,Gabriel Garza

Information Regarding Event
1.Video recording for the event.
2.Approval for the camera for all upcoming GSA events.
3.Email Location to registered students.
4.Distribute Flyers.
5.Check regarding information can be updated
6.Email Blast(Updated information)
7.Food is confirmed for the event

Things to take care for future events
1.Posters should contain all the information.
2.Troubleshoot registration link(Must be logged in to SA groups before link)
3.Only for Grad and Phd students

Discussions regarding GEO
1.How to handle assistantships problems for all graduate students.

October 23,2014

Present: Audris S Campbell,Nieshia Whittingham, Joey Nguyen, Sachin Rungta,Chengjie Zheng,lena Champagna,Gabriel Garza

Assigning Duties for the event

Print paper flyers
making setups til 3:30 pm
Checkin:Audris,Jimmy
Food Defense:Joey
IDCheckin: Sachin,Gabe,Nieshia

October 16, 2014

Present: Audris S Campbell, Nieshia Whittingham, Joey Nguyen, Sachin Rungta, Chengjie Zheng,lena Champagna,Gabriel Garza
Started Advertising for the workshop
1.Give Poster Designs to SEAC2.
2.Making Registration forms for reservations in Grand Writing Workshop.
3.Sending Blast Emails on 10/20/2104 & 10/27/2014
4.Sending flyers to all the professors
5.Group Registration
6.Creating forms for grant writing workshop containing different details.
2.Planning food budget for Workshop event
1.After workshop social event coffees,Brownies,Cookies,Pizzas,Sandwiches,Chicken Nuggets/French Fries,Veggies,Fruit Punch,Juice,Two cases for water
3.Approved PDGS to Jay Scott Templin
4.Approved PDGS to Corina Oala

October 9, 2014

Present: Audris S Campbell, Nieshia Whittingham, Joey Nguyen, Sachin Rungta,Chengjie Zheng,lena Champagna, April Pearson
1. Workshop location:University Dining Hall,4:00-6:00 pm,Nov 13
2.Social Event after workshop:University Dining Hall,6:00-7:00 pm,Nov 13
3.Planning Advertising for the workshop

1.Give Poster Designs to SEAC2.
2.Making Registration forms for reservations in Grand Writing Workshop.
5.Sending Blast Emails
6.To improve IT servicesOffice SpacesDifferent Ports Setup
Additional Wi-Fi services
Proper Advertisement of IT department services
Staplers and pins around all the Computer Labs.

October 02, 2014

Present: Audris S Campbell, April Pearson, Nieshia Whittingham, Joey Nguyen, Sachin Rungta,Chengjie Zheng,lena Champagna1.
1.2014-2015 GSA Election Results
President: Joey Nguyen
Vice President: Sachin Rungta
Treasurer: Chengjie Zhneg
Secretary: Nieshia Whittingham
2. Meeting Professor Lauren Haymen to discuss her condtitons regarding workshop.

3.We all have to finalize the date,timings location of the workshop.

September 25, 2014

Present: Audris S Campbell, April Pearson, Nieshia Whittingham, Joey Nguyen, Sachin Rungta,Hannah E Lapp,Chengjie Zheng,lena Champagna

1. Planning continues for upcoming UMass Writing workshop.
2.Meetings professor for demonstrating writing for workshop.
3.All members becomes GSA voting members.
4.Election discussions for two positions:Vice-President and Treasurer.

5.All competitors for both the positions are giving speeches on what things they want to develop for graduate students.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Serving as the voice of graduate students at University of Massachusetts Boston

%d bloggers like this: