Professional Development Grant applications are back online!
We are also pleased to announce that students attending but not presenting at conferences are once again eligible to apply to PDG’s for a maximum $250 reimbursement.
Application Fact Sheet
The Graduate Student Assembly (GSA) is dedicated to enhancing the academic development of graduate students at UMASS Boston. The Professional Development Grant (PDG) program’s goal is to assist with the economic burden of attending academic and professional conferences. This is a post-travel reimbursement program. However, approval occurs prior to travel.
Overview of Process
**Please note that all conference travel and all receipt submission must be completed by May, 2018.
1. Submit a completed online application no less than 30 days prior to your departure date. Make sure to read the instructions carefully and to provide all of the required information. Click the link below to access the application:
2. The GSA will notify you of the status of your application within approximately one week via email to the email address provided on your application.
3. If accepted, attend your conference and keep all of your receipts for any transportation, accommodation, poster/paper printing, registration, or meal expenses. PDG application is going paperless! This means that you will only need to submit electronic copies of the original receipts to the GSA for reimbursement.
Receipts must also include the last 4 digits of the credit/debit card number or account number that the transaction was paid with. If paid for in cash, the receipts must specify this. If any of your receipts do not include this information, you will need to submit a bank statement with all info besides the last 4 digits of your card number and the individual transaction blacked out for security purposes.
4. Submit your receipts, (a bank statement if necessary), and a completed PDG Receipt Summary Form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please merge all your documents into one word or PDF file and rename the file following the format of “John Doe_PDG reimbursement_20170910”. Please specify your email subject in the same format.
5. Please allow 6 weeks for your reimbursement to be posted to your student account in WISER. The GSA doesn’t handle the reimbursements directly. Once we submit your paperwork, it is out of our hands and is processed by other offices. The reimbursement will go into your student account and will be labeled as “Student Activities Reimbursement”. The best way to monitor the status of your reimbursement is to check your student account periodically via WISER.
6. Because the GSA takes pride in sending graduate students to prestigious conferences, nationally and internationally, we encourage those who receive funding to contact the UMB Office of Communications upon returning. Please submit a small blurb discussing your conference and academic contributions. This is an excellent opportunity to share your accomplishments outside of your respective programs. The link can be accessed at this address:
Who can participate?
Degree seeking Masters and Doctoral students presenting work at or attending the requested conference.
Students enrolled in the following College of Advancing and Professional Studies programs are NOT eligible:
Degree Programs (Online):
MA Applied Linguistics: ESL
Foreign Language Pedagogy
M.Ed. Counseling: School Guidance
M.Ed. Counseling: Mental Health
M.Ed. Instructional Design
MS Gerontology, Management of Aging Services Track
Adapting Curriculum Frameworks for All Learners
Applied Behavioral Analysis
Critical and Creative Thinking
Dispute Resolution (K-12)
Gerontology – Management of Aging Services
Instructional Technology Design
Instructional Technology for Educators
Nurse Practitioner: Family or Gerontology/Adult Orientation and Mobility
Teaching of Spanish
Teaching of Writing
Women in Politics and Public Policy
Students who attend conferences post graduation date are also ineligible.
What is the PDG dollar amount?
The maximum grant for students presenting a paper or poster is $400.00. The maximum grant for students attending a conference and NOT presenting a paper or a poster is $250.
How many PDGs can I receive?
Students are permitted to receive a maximum of 1 PDG per academic year. This rule applies to both Master’s and Doctoral students regardless of years of study. PDG’s cannot be accumulated, for example, a 4th year PhD student cannot request multiple PDG’s in one year because he/she did not apply PDG’s in prior years.
It is subject to:
(1) filling out the application
(2) presenting request at a GSA meeting
(3) GSA approval (which will be contingent on the organization’s current budgetary situation)
What kinds of events is a PDG for?
Are PDGs considered taxable income?
Yes! All grants count as income, and as such are subject to taxation, as appropriate. Applicants are responsible for contacting University Financial Aid and the Bursar’s Office if they need information on how grants will affect their finances.
The maximum grant amount for students presenting a paper or a poster at a conference is $400.
Can PDGs affect my financial aid?
Possibly. Please visit the UMB Financial Aid webpage at http://www.umb.edu/admissions/financial_aid_scholarships/
The following information is especially important:
If you receive any form of aid from sources other than Financial Aid Services, your aid may be adjusted. Contact the Financial Aid office to determine the impact of outside awards. Examples of other sources of aid include scholarships, veteran’s benefits, employee reimbursement and tuition waivers (Massachusetts Rehab, veteran’s state employee, graduate assistantships).
Please note that “outside awards” includes any money awarded by the Graduate Student Assembly.
To find out if a GSA award will affect your financial aid and if so, how much, please contact the financial aid office at:
Financial Aid Office
Campus Center, 04, 04300
This page entails all the information you need to successfully submit your application and get travel reimbursement.
Should you have any further questions, feel free to email email@example.com addressing the Treasurer, or you can drop by during our office hours below.
GSA wishes you a successful endeavor in your academic pursuit!