(Recognized Professional Associations)
The Graduate Student Assembly (GSA) sponsors graduate student clubs called Recognized Professional Associations (RPAs) to enrich the quality of graduate education and life at UMass Boston. RPAs receive a fixed amount of funding per year plus additional funding subject to approval. All RPAs are open to all graduate students.
ANNOUNCEMENT – 9/18/2017
RPAs are no longer limited to professional or academic associations. GSA will now be accepting applications for social associations as well.
The following RPAs are active for the 2019-2020 academic year:
American Studies Roundtable
Clinical Graduate Student Association
Graduate Exercise and Health
Graduate Sociology Student Association
School Counseling Student Association
School for the Environment Association of Students
School Psychology Club
Society Equity Forum
Society of Graduate Archaeologists
International Nursing Student Association
For more information about any of these RPAs or to join them, please see https://umb.collegiatelink.net/Organizations
The following RPAs are currently inactive but are available to be reactivated:
- Accounting and Finance Academy
- Applied Linguistics Student Association
- Beacons for Social Justice Club
- Biology Graduate Student Club
- CCT Forum
- Computer Science Graduate Student Association
- Conflict Resolution Student Council (Graduate)
- Council on International Relations
- Cricket Club
- English Graduate Student Professionalization Committee
- Entrepreneurship Club
- Gender Working Group
- Global Governance and Human Security Cohort Conversations
- Graduate Business Association
- Graduate Chemistry Club
- Graduate Exercise and Health Sciences Club
- Graduate Indian Student Association
- Graduate Instructional Design Association
- Graduate Sociology Student Association
- History Graduate Student Association
- Neuroscience Graduate Student Association
- New England Scientists and Teachers for Sustainability
- No Lost Generation Student Initiative-University of Massachusetts Boston
- Organizational Social Change
- Pacific Asian American Students and Studies Association in Graduate Education
- Psychology Connections Committee
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science – Graduate Club
- Student Affiliates School Psychology
- Student Ambassador Council
- The American Studies Roundtable
- Toastmasters Club
- Voices for Global Inclusion and Social Development
Starting a RPA
If you are interested in starting a RPA please visit https://umb.campuslabs.com/engage/register and complete the application by the semester deadline. Failure to comply with this deadline will result in not being activated for the requested semester.
The RPA President, Treasurer, and Event Planner must complete an in-person training. The training provides an overview of all paperwork necessary to operate your RPA. See the “Club Training” below for details and instructions.
The GSA will only consider activating an RPA if both a completed application was received prior to the deadline and the president and treasurer have completed the mandatory in-person training.
Once the RPA has fulfilled the application and training requirements, the GSA full membership votes to approve or deny the RPA application. GSA may also recommend you connect with students from other RPA’s. If the RPA is approved, a small amount of funding will be placed into the RPA account.
Reactivating a RPA
Club Training is now going to be an in-person training that needs to be completed by the club president, treasurer and event planner and will last 1 ½ hours. This new training will include club information and also event planner training. To sign up for a training please visit the event sections of UMBeInvolved (www.umb.edu/beinvolved), log into the site and click on the training that you would like to attend and RSVP (the trainings are listed as 2018-2019 Club Training). If you do not see any trainings list, click “load more” on the bottom of the page. Trainings will be taking place on February 26th-February 28th.
To reactivate, you must do the following:
- The President, Treasurer and Event Planner must attend and in-person training by Friday, February 28th, 2019 to remain active. (the event planner can be the president, treasurer or a different person). All positions need not attend the same training.
- Each club roster must be updated on UMBeInvolved (www.umb.edu/beinvolved) to reflect a minimum of 10 active, current graduate students (for RPAs).
- You must read and disseminate the Massachusetts Hazing Policy (contained in club training) to all club members who must read and be familiar with the policy
Budgets for Graduate Clubs
All graduate clubs will receive funds (up to $200) from the GSA once the RPA (re)activates.
Club and Locker Space for Graduate Clubs
The Student Organization Resource Collective or SORCe is the place to find information and tools to help you run your student organization efficiently. We’ll be hosting leadership development workshops throughout the semester and you’ll find leadership resources, a monthly newsletter, and more on UMBeInvolved. Stay tuned for more information!
Shelby J. Harris, PhD Associate Dean of Students
Charles Henriques Assistant Director
Sean Thompson Director, New Student & Family Programs
Alisha Leu Program Coordinator
Bethany Tuller Program Coordinator
Amanda West Administrative Coordinator
Office of Student Activities
The Office of Student Activities Staff is available to help you with event planning and advising. For basic club questions (printing, reservations, UMBeInvolved) you can stop by the Student Activities Front Counter during normal business hours. In addition, there will be Open Office Hours Monday-Thursday during the semester. You can stop by to sit with a staff member and talk about events, budgets, or other club questions.
Open Office Hours (Student Activities Suite, Campus Center 3400), please check in at the front desk
Thursday – 10:00am-4:00pm
If you are looking to print posters to advertise for your event, send the file (PDF preferred) via e-mail to the Student Activities Front Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the order details (e.g. number of copies, sizes, etc.) and the date you would need the materials by. Please allow up to 7 business days for the order to be printed.